Wednesday, September 9, 2009

How to Destroy Your Enemies

“Pursue peace with all men, and the sanctification without which no one will see the Lord. See to it that no one comes short of the grace of God; that no root of bitterness springing up causes trouble, and by it many be defiled.” Hebrews 12:14-15

Abraham Lincoln, after becoming president of the United States, was taken to task for his kindness toward his enemies. “Why do you try to make friends of them?” asked an associate. “You are in a position now to destroy them.” Lincoln gently replied, “Am I not destroying my enemies when I make them my friends?”

Many a person lives for the day when he will be in a position to get even with those who have wronged him. But vengeance doesn’t belong to man- it belongs exclusively to God. He announced: “Vengeance is Mine” Rom 12:19. The sword of vengeance is too heavy for man, and he usually falls on it and destroys himself.

Batsell Barrett Baxter told of riding in a plane beside a blind businessman. He was so impressed with the man’s friendliness that he couldn’t refrain from asking how he lost his sight. “A competitor of mine threw acid on my face,” was the reply.

“Do you feel a terrible resentment?” questioned Baxter. "Oh I did for years, but it dawned on me that I was doing myself the real injury,” said the man. “I forgave him and have actually done him some favors in recent years.” He went on to tell how his attitude toward an enemy had changed his entire life.

He did exactly what the Lord advises: “...if your enemy is hungry, feed him, and if he is thirsty, give him a drink...Do not be overcome by evil, but overcome evil with good.” Rom. 12:20-21

Let me ask you - Who is it that is ruining your life?
Why not forgive, let go, and let the Lord take care of it and you!