Friday, September 25, 2009

The Message In The Storm

“My soul waits in silence for God only; From Him is my salvation. He only is my rock and my salvation, My stronghold; I shall not be greatly shaken. How long will you assail a man, That you may murder him, all of you, Like a leaning wall, like a tottering fence? They have counseled only to thrust him down from his high position; They delight in falsehood; They bless with their mouth, But inwardly they curse. Selah. My soul, wait in silence for God only, For my hope is from Him. He only is my rock and my salvation, My stronghold; I shall not be shaken. On God my salvation and my glory rest; The rock of my strength, my refuge is in God. Trust in Him at all times, O people; Pour out your heart before Him; God is a refuge for us. Selah. Psalm 62:1-8

The prophet Isaiah wrote, “In quietness and trust is your strength” Isaiah 30:15. In Psalm 62, David expands that thought, “My soul waits in silence for God only; from Him is my salvation. He only is my rock and my salvation, my stronghold; I shall not be greatly shaken” v 1-2. There are times in life when all around you can seem stormy and uninviting.

Just when one tempest subsides another sweeps in to take its place. Before long you begin to wonder how you will ever handle the stress and emotional upheaval. The storm center may rest over your place of employment, your home, or a relationship. It may include feelings of rejection, doubt, fear, or isolation.

You try to find a way out or around the problem. But trying and striving are never God’s way. If you truly want the storm pattern to change, tell God you are willing to do what David did and what the prophet Isaiah suggested – wait in trust and silence for His deliverance.

There are times when God wants you to move forward in faith. There are also times when He wants you to be still before Him so you can better hear His voice. When ominous clouds gather, you can respond in one of two ways - trust or panic.

The pathway to peace and stability is always through trust and faith in Almighty God.