Wednesday, September 23, 2009

Know the Word

How can a young man keep his way pure?
By keeping it according to Thy word.
With all my heart I have sought Thee;
Do not let me wander from Thy commandments.
Thy word I have treasured in my heart,
That I may not sin against Thee.
Blessed art Thou, O Lord;
Teach me Thy statutes.
With my lips I have told of
All the ordinances of Thy mouth.
I have rejoiced in the way of Thy testimonies,
As much as in all riches.
I will meditate on Thy precepts,
And regard Thy ways.
I shall delight in Thy statutes;
I shall not forget Thy word. Psalm 119:9-16


The Bible is as relevant today as it was when it was first written. The pages of Scripture are timeless principles explaining God’s nature and redemptive plan for mankind.

The Bible also gives us an account of the various ways God deals with His people. It even helps us understand ourselves better. Scripture is a constant source of encouragement, instructing us to have hope in hopeless situations and to seek God and His victory when defeat seems eminent.

If you truly want to know God, know His Word. Everything He has spoken through Scripture is for a purpose - not just so we might have a list of rules and regulations - but so we might know Him better.

When we fail to read and study the Bible, our communication line to God is wakened. Drifting from His Word leads to self-reliance and isolation from God. We begin to live separate from His will by trying to accomplish things in our own strength. Without this guidance, life is empty and disappointing.

It is never too late to build a fruitful relationship with the Lord. The moment you pick up His Word, He takes the initiative to reveal Himself to you.

“Thy word is a lamp to my feet, and a light to my path.” Psalm 119:105