Wednesday, December 15, 2010

Be a Gracious Receiver

“Not that I speak from want, for I have learned to be content in whatever circumstances I am. I know how to get along with humble means, and I also know how to live in prosperity; in any and every circumstance I have learned the secret of being filled and going hungry, both of having abundance and suffering need. I can do all things through Him who strengthens me.” Philippians 4:11-13

We are looking at how to have a winning Christmas. We have talked about the fact that we need:
1. To keep Jesus first
2. To practice thoughtful worship
3. Be a gracious receiver


It is here that many lose the joy of the Christmas season. For many, it is easier to give than it is to receive. For many, it is disappointment with what is given. Why? Because we expected something different, something more expensive, or better. That’s why many, today, let people tell them or even pick out what they want for Christmas.

But you miss the point. It’s not about what you get, but the heart with which it was given. Let me suggest an alternative - Don’t expect anything! Absolutely nothing. Then you will be grateful for whatever you receive. Gracious receiving leads to a winning Christmas season. Don’t expect. Appreciate and be thankful that someone thought about you and cared enough to get you something.

For many, time is the greatest gift of all! I mean quality time - not everyone just sitting in the same room or being in the same general location. But time spent being together, eye to eye, over dinner, or on a drive somewhere.

Jesus said it is more blessed to give than receive. However...we can be gracious when others want to give to us. Receive what is given with a grateful heart, and you will be blessed.