Friday, December 31, 2010

Just One Request

“So teach us to number our days, that we may present to You a heart of wisdom.” Psalm 90:12

I read of a college girl who, as she tacked the New Year calendar to the wall, said: “It is going to be a beautiful year!” “How do you know?” asked her roommate. “Well,” she replied, “a day isn’t a long time, and I know it is going to be beautiful because I am going to take a day at a time and make it so. I will see that every one of those 365 days gets at least one beautiful thing into it through my efforts.”

Her New Year motto might be, in the words of David, “So teach us to number our days, that we may present to You a heart of wisdom.”

Make this your prayer:
“Dear Master for this coming year
Just one request I bring:
I do not pray for happiness,
Or any earthly thing -
I do not ask to understand
The way Though leadest me,
But this I ask: Teach me to do
The thing that pleaseth Thee
I want to know Thy guiding voice,
To walk with Thee each day.
Dear Master make me swift to hear
And ready to obey.
And thus the year I now begin
A happy year will be -
If I am seeking just to do
The thing that pleaseth Thee.”

Happy New Year!!