Tuesday, April 12, 2011

More Than God Intended

Now Moses heard the people weeping throughout their families, each man at the doorway of his tent; and the anger of the LORD was kindled greatly, and Moses was displeased. So Moses said to the LORD, “Why have You been so hard on Your servant? And why have I not found favor in Your sight, that You have laid the burden of all this people on me? Was it I who conceived all this people? Was it I who brought them forth, that You should say to me, ‘Carry them in your bosom as a nurse carries a nursing infant, to the land which You swore to their fathers’? Where am I to get meat to give to all this people? For they weep before me, saying, ‘Give us meat that we may eat!’ I alone am not able to carry all this people, because it is too burdensome for me. So if You are going to deal thus with me, please kill me at once, if I have found favor in Your sight, and do not let me see my wretchedness.”

The LORD therefore said to Moses, “Gather for Me seventy men from the elders of Israel, whom you know to be the elders of the people and their officers and bring them to the tent of meeting, and let them take their stand there with you. Then I will come down and speak with you there, and I will take of the Spirit who is upon you, and will put Him upon them; and they shall bear the burden of the people with you, so that you will not bear it all alone.”
Numbers 11:10-17


Responsibility is a double-edged sword. Once we learn God’s priority on faithfulness and diligence, we can abuse the principle when faced with larger challenges.

Moses encountered that problem. He proved his reliability in the desert and the exodus from Egypt but almost buckled under the load. Like many of us, Moses had assumed more than his share of the burden in seeking to lead the several million Israelites. He cried out to the Lord: “I alone am not able to carry all this people, because it is too burdensome for me” (Num. 11:14).

When we assume more responsibility than God intended, we live on an emotional and physical edge. Like Moses, there comes a time when we realize that we must share with others certain responsibilities which the Lord has entrusted to us. You are responsible before God for specific areas - family, work, ministry. Trouble can come when you attempt to handle more than your sphere of responsibility. You cannot save the world; but you can reach your family, friends, and neighborhood.

If you are overextended, ask God for wisdom either to delegate or shift your priorities. Your effectiveness will be greatly enhanced.

“But we will not boast beyond our measure...”
2 Corinthians 10:13