Tuesday, April 19, 2011

Our Victory in Christ

“For through the Law I died to the Law, so that I might live to God. I have been crucified with Christ; and it is no longer I who live, but Christ lives in me; and the life which I now live in the flesh I live by faith in the Son of God, who loved me and gave Himself up for me.” Galatians 2:19-20

Here is the essence of the crucified life - we can win over sin because we are joined inseparably to the Lord Jesus Christ Who has conquered sin. Paul wrote that he wanted to know Christ in “the power of His resurrection” (Philippians 3:10). He desired to experience the indwelling resurrection power of Jesus Christ day by day.

For the Christian, that possibility is a reality through our indivisible union with the risen Christ. That is precisely why the Christian life is a victorious one. We win, not through undying struggle, but by submission to and reliance upon the triumphant Spirit of God in us. Jesus is our Lord; His Spirit lives within us. We have been freed from the dominion of sin (not from its temptation or presence) and made a part of the kingdom of God.

Our part is determined obedience. Victory is ours when we rely on the Holy Spirit. It may not come instantly, but it will come if we walk with Christ in His power. The Christian life can be an abundant one as we shift our focus from self-effort to the all-conquering might of Christ Jesus within Who is our hope and our victory.

“But may it never be that I would boast, except in the cross...” Galatians 6:14