Wednesday, April 13, 2011

Orderly Nehemiah

“They said to me, ‘The remnant there in the province who survived the captivity are in great distress and reproach, and the wall of Jerusalem is broken down and its gates are burned with fire.’ When I heard these words, I sat down and wept and mourned for days; and I was fasting and praying before the God of heaven.”
Nehemiah 1:3-4

“And it came about in the month Nisan, in the twentieth year of King Artaxerxes, that wine was before him, and I took up the wine and gave it to the king. Now I had not been sad in his presence. So the king said to me, ‘Why is your face sad though you are not sick? This is nothing but sadness of heart.’ Then I was very much afraid. I said to the king, ‘Let the king live forever Why should my face not be sad when the city, the place of my fathers' tombs, lies desolate and its gates have been consumed by fire?’ Then the king said to me, ‘What would you request?’ So I prayed to the God of heaven. I said to the king, ‘If it please the king, and if your servant has found favor before you, send me to Judah, to the city of my fathers' tombs, that I may rebuild it.’ Then the king said to me, the queen sitting beside him, ‘How long will your journey be, and when will you return?’ So it pleased the king to send me, and I gave him a definite time.” Nehemiah 2:1-6


Sociological studies show that despite increased leisure time Americans feel more pressured than ever. With increased freedoms and opportunities come more choices; with more choices, more decisions are required. The key to living an orderly life in the midst of such frenzy is an established prayer life in which we can present our needs and agenda to our all-wise God. Nehemiah understood this foundational principle.

When he heard the news of Jerusalem’s plight, he did not organize a rescue squad immediately or launch a new organization. Nehemiah’s response was to pray: “I sat down and wept and mourned for days; and I was fasting and praying before the God of heaven” (Neh. 1:4). For four long months, Nehemiah interceded on Jerusalem’s behalf, asking God for direction and wisdom. Then when the time came to petition King Artaxerxes, Nehemiah’s request was granted miraculously (Neh. 2:1-6).

Order in our lives begins with the rule of the Holy Spirit and the outworking of God’s plan. The discernment to implement His plan comes as we spend time in fervent prayer, seeking His mind and purposes.

“...He went up on the mountain by Himself to pray...” Matthew 14:23