Monday, April 25, 2011

The Ultimate Purpose of Prayer

“Give ear to my words, O LORD,
consider my groaning.
Heed the sound of my cry for help, my King and my God,
for to You I pray.
In the morning, O LORD, You will hear my voice;
in the morning I will order my prayer to You and eagerly watch.”
Psalm 5:1-3


The goal of a married couple is not just to stay married but to develop a personal intimacy that touches body, soul, and spirit. Likewise, the goal of a believer is not just to be a Christian but to cultivate an intimate, devoted relationship with our Heavenly Father. In both instances honest, sincere, and consistent communication is the key to such oneness and nearness. For the Christian, that process is experienced through a deepening, growing, expanding prayer life.

God’s goal in prayer is not just to answer our petitions or hear our complaints or solve our problems. Although He does address each of these needs, they are only a part of our Lord Jesus Christ’s ultimate purpose in prayer - oneness and union with Him.

God wants you to know Him; to enjoy Him; to live continually in the light of His favor, wisdom, and truth. He desires a genuine relationship with you, His child. Daily, abiding prayer is the spiritual closet where you and the Father are drawn into a personal intimacy in which God’s love for you and your love for Him become the bedrock of your faith.

If you have not done it already - starting this month, make it your goal to know God intimately. Then watch your prayer life move into a new dimension.

“You can do more than pray after you have prayed, but you cannot do more than pray until you have prayed.” -John Bunyan