Tuesday, April 30, 2013

On the Wrong Side

“But whoever causes one of these little ones who believe in Me to stumble, it would be better for him to have a heavy millstone hung around his neck, and to be drowned in the depth of the sea. Woe to the world because of its stumbling blocks! For it is inevitable that stumbling blocks come; but woe to that man through whom the stumbling block comes!”  Matthew 18:6-7

All of us will admit that we know what it is to be tempted. We have all had to face the ordeal of choosing either to give in to temptation’s appeal of stand firmly against it, fighting to maintain a life of obedience to Christ.

But there is another side to temptation, and that is when a person sides with evil and entices others to sin. Jesus had some of His harshest words for those who would take this position in life, causing others to stumble spiritually, emotionally, or morally.

But before we begin to point the finger at those who are in violation of this standard, we need first to look at ourselves. Ask yourself, “Am I ever guilty of just going along with the gang, even when I know it is not right, simply because I want to be accepted, or a I can’t take the pressure of being different? Have I verbally or nonverbally encouraged another to go against what I know is right? Am I guilty of causing anyone to stumble by my negligence or lack of concern?”

“Lord, help me to see that my life is always an example. May I lead others to love and trust You as they see You in me.”

There was never anyone so good that was he was exempt from trials and temptations.