Thursday, April 4, 2013

Walking Through the Darkness with God

“Answer me quickly, O Lord, my spirit fails;
Do not hide Your face from me,
Or I will become like those who go down to the pit.
Let me hear Your lovingkindness in the morning;
For I trust in You;
Teach me the way in which I should walk;
For to You I lift up my soul.
Deliver me, O Lord, from my enemies;
I take refuge in You.”  Psalm 143:7-9


“...Let me hear Your lovingkindness in the morning;
For I trust in You;
Teach me the way in which I should walk...”


“This is a short and sweet morning prayer. God hears early prayer, and lovingly responds to it. The smiles of His face, the sweetness of His voice, the gifts of His hand, bless the morning, bless throughout the day.

Lovingkindness is a favorite expression, a choice theme of David’s. It is used more in the Book of Psalms than in any other book in the Scriptures. Lovingkindness is love showing kindness; it is the sun of love shining with rays of kindness; the river of love sending forth streams of kindness; it is the heart of love uttering itself by words of kindness, doing deeds, and giving gifts of kindness.

‘Cause me to hear’ this voice. It speaks every morning, but many ears are deaf to it. But while others are indifferent to it, cause me to hear it; let me not lose the opportunity; waken my ear morning by morning, so that I may hail the season and enjoy the privilege. And when the morning of eternity shall come, ‘cause me to hear the voice of Thy lovingkindness’ welcoming me to its joys.”
                                                                             -W. Abbot
                                                                               The Baptist Messenger, 1870