Thursday, February 18, 2010

Divine Direction

“Answer me quickly, O LORD, my spirit fails;
Do not hide Your face from me,
Or I will become like those who go down to the pit.
Let me hear Your lovingkindness in the morning;
For I trust in You;
Teach me the way in which I should walk;
For to You I lift up my soul.
Deliver me, O LORD, from my enemies;
I take refuge in You.
Teach me to do Your will,
For You are my God;
Let Your good Spirit lead me on level ground.” Psalm 143:7-10


Who was God in David’s life? He was David’s Divine Director. The biblical account of David’s life is punctuated with requests for God’s direction. On one occasion David took refuge at Moab, for King Saul pursued him to take his life. David asked the Moabite king for permission to stay “until I know what God will do for me.” 1 Sam 22:3

Because David waited on the Lord, a prophet was able to direct him away before Saul and his armies arrived. David looked to God for direction in battles and God gave him victory. There was very little in which David did not seek Divine direction. The Bible says David prospered and the Lord Himself called him “a man after My own heart.”

The Psalms reveal the innermost thoughts of this remarkable man who sought God’s will as a way of life, as illustrated by our text today. Would you say that God has prospered you as He did David? David did not trust God for salvation alone. He trusted God for daily direction in his life. Often it is not the big decisions that make or break a person as much as it is the daily, seemingly insignificant ones.

What decisions do you face today? Make God your Director. Praise Him for His guidance.