Monday, May 3, 2010

The Promise of a Resurrection

“Jesus said to them, ‘I am the bread of life; he who comes to Me will not hunger, and he who believes in Me will never thirst. But I said to you that you have seen Me, and yet do not believe. All that the Father gives Me will come to Me, and the one who comes to Me I will certainly not cast out. For I have come down from heaven, not to do My own will, but the will of Him who sent Me. This is the will of Him who sent Me, that of all that He has given Me I lose nothing, but raise it up on the last day. For this is the will of My Father, that everyone who beholds the Son and believes in Him will have eternal life, and I Myself will raise him up on the last day.’” John 6:35-40

“No one can come to Me unless the Father who sent Me draws him; and I will raise him up on the last day.” Passage John 6:44

“He who eats My flesh and drinks My blood has eternal life, and I will raise him up on the last day.” John 6:54


When Rajiv Gandhi was killed years ago, his Hindu burial was described in this manner in an Associated Press article: “Gandhi’s son, Rahul, was to perform the rites at the cremation ground along the Jamuma River, lighting the pyre and smashing the skull with a cudgel to release the soul of the departed.”

All religions of the world - except Christianity - teach confusing, uncertain, and complex concepts of life and death. It is the Christian faith alone than teaches, professes, and focuses on the surety of the believer’s resurrection. Because Jesus rose from the dead, proving His deity, you can be assured of your personal resurrection. The grave is not a dead end. Jesus Christ, the Son of God, was crucified for our sins and rose again from the tomb just as He promised.

When you die, your spirit is immediately with the Lord. When the Lord returns, our bodies will be joined with our spirits. It is clear we will have bodies like Christ’s after His resurrection (Philippians 3:21). The burial of a Christian is but a formality. He is already with the Savior, tasting the delights of heaven, seeing God face to face.

“we...prefer rather to be absent from the body and to be at home with the Lord.” 2 Cor. 5:8