Sunday, June 27, 2010

God’s Goal in Speaking, Part 1

“For I would have you know, brethren, that the gospel which was preached by me is not according to man. For I neither received it from man, nor was I taught it, but I received it through a revelation of Jesus Christ. For you have heard of my former manner of life in Judaism, how I used to persecute the church of God beyond measure and tried to destroy it; and I was advancing in Judaism beyond many of my contemporaries among my countrymen, being more extremely zealous for my ancestral traditions. But when God, who had set me apart even from my mother's womb and called me through His grace, was pleased to reveal His Son in me so that I might preach Him among the Gentiles, I did not immediately consult with flesh and blood, nor did I go up to Jerusalem to those who were apostles before me; but I went away to Arabia, and returned once more to Damascus.” Galatians 1:11-17

When God speaks to us, He has three goals in mind:

He wants us to understand His truth - God has written the Bible in such a way that we cannot read through it and think we know everything about Him. The more you read God’s Word, the more He reveals Himself to you. The more He reveals, the more you will understand His will for you life.

He seeks to conform us to the image of Jesus Christ
- God wants us to take His truth and apply it to our lives. As we do, He molds us and conforms us into the likeness of His Son. Jesus is our example. In Him, we discover we are wonderfully accepted and loved.

He wants us to communicate His truth to others - As we grow in Christ, God empowers us to teach others about Him. He may not call you to be a pastor or a missionary, but He calls each of us to share His love with others. Our communication does not begin and end with words. It goes much deeper to our attitudes, values, convictions, and desires. What does your life say to others about Christ? Do they see a God who loves, forgives, and encourages all people?

“The LORD has bared His holy arm in the sight of all the nations, that all the ends of the earth may see the salvation of our God.” Isaiah 52:10