Wednesday, June 30, 2010

The Lord is My Shepherd!

“The LORD is my shepherd,
I shall not want.
He makes me lie down in green pastures;
He leads me beside quiet waters.
He restores my soul;
He guides me in the paths of righteousness
For His name's sake.
Even though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death,
I fear no evil, for You are with me;
Your rod and Your staff, they comfort me.
You prepare a table before me in the presence of my enemies;
You have anointed my head with oil;
My cup overflows.
Surely goodness and lovingkindness will follow me all the days of my life,
And I will dwell in the house of the LORD forever.” Psalm 23:1-6


Psalm 23 was written during a very stressful time in David’s life. God had anointed him as king over Israel. Yet he had no kingdom. Saul continued to reign, but he had seen how the hand of God was with David in battle and became envious. Poisoned by jealousy, King Saul launched an attack against David, chasing him from city to city - region to region.

Hiding out it a dark lonely cave, David found little hope or comfort until he recalled God’s promises and past dealings in his life. Suddenly, strength and encouragement were reborn as David proclaimed: “The LORD is my shepherd, I shall not want. He makes me lie down in green pastures; He leads me beside quiet waters. He restores my soul; He guides me in the paths of righteousness...”

Nothing out of this psalm speaks of inactivity. Instead, there is power and rejoicing in God’s faithfulness. By faith, David claimed the abiding presence of God - reaffirming how God leads us and makes us lie down in spacious places of rest. He is our Shepherd. He watches over us continuously.

God knows when you are frightened and discouraged. Even though David was in constant peril, God was with him. Just rest your troubles with Him; He will speak to you.