Wednesday, October 6, 2010

Be Still and Listen

“My son, give attention to my words;
incline your ear to my sayings.
Do not let them depart from your sight;
keep them in the midst of your heart.
For they are life to those who find them
and health to all their body.” Proverbs 4:20-22

“Blessed is the man who listens to me,
watching daily at my gates,
waiting at my doorposts.
For he who finds me finds life
and obtains favor from the LORD.” Proverbs 8:34-35


Probably the greatest antidote for anxiety is quiet reflection and mediation upon the Word of God - especially the passages dealing with God’s provision and power. It’s hard to hold your troubles and anxieties when the faithful and true Word of God is relaxing your grasp.

One key passage to read is Isaiah 51. What a wonderful pronouncement of God’s super ability to handle any of life’s problems. Our anxious fears melt away in light of His comforting words of assurance. That’s much of what listening to God is all about - being quiet enough to focus our attention on what the Word reveals about Him and what He has to say about our concerns.

Of course, a great hindrance to hearing God speak is our inability to set things aside long enough to get quiet, stop worrying about it, and begin to see the truth about God reflected in His Word. The next time you feel the flood of anxiety, stop. Take the time to renew your mind in the Word and reacquaint yourself with God’s viewpoint of this life.

I make the choice of whether I’ll carry my anxiety around with me or if I’ll let it slip away as I relax my grip on it and take instead God’s loving hand in mine.

“...in quietness and trust is your strength...” Isa. 30:15