Tuesday, October 26, 2010

God Who Relates to Us

“You are My friends if you do what I command you. No longer do I call you slaves, for the slave does not know what his master is doing; but I have called you friends, for all things that I have heard from My Father I have made known to you. You did not choose Me but I chose you, and appointed you that you would go and bear fruit, and that your fruit would remain, so that whatever you ask of the Father in My name He may give to you. This I command you, that you love one another.” John 15:14-17

Christianity is not a religion, a liturgy, or a creed. It is the eternal dynamic of a personal relationship with Jesus Christ. You have the opportunity to spend your life on earth and in heaven in unending, progressive, deepening communion, with your personal God. As your faithful High Priest, Jesus understands the full range of your emotions, desires, and hurt. Because He became man, He can relate to every human need you experience.

Your relationship with Him can be as intensely personal as you desire. God will reveal Himself to you as you seek Him in prayer, read His Word, and set the sail of your heart toward Him. Think of it this way: You are uppermost in God’s mind today. That is a staggering thought, isn’t it? But it is true. God’s chief desire is to be glorified, and it is men and women rightly related to Him who reflect His glory most brilliantly.

Your response is simply to receive, by faith, all that God is. You can speak with Him, listen to Him through His Word, and construct an intimate relationship that will last forever. This is life’s greatest privilege. Are you pressing on to know Him?

“Greater love has no one than this, that one lay down his life for his friends.” John 15:13