Wednesday, October 27, 2010

The Good Shepherd

“The LORD is my shepherd, I shall not want.
He makes me lie down in green pastures;
He leads me beside quiet waters.
He restores my soul;
He guides me in the paths of righteousness for His name's sake.
Even though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death,
I fear no evil, for You are with me;
Your rod and Your staff, they comfort me.
You prepare a table before me in the presence of my enemies;
You have anointed my head with oil; my cup overflows.
Surely goodness and lovingkindness will follow me all the days of my life, and I will dwell in the house of the LORD forever.”
Psalm 23


The Scriptures furnish several tender analogies of how God relates to His people. God cares for us as a shepherd looks after his flock: “Come, let us worship and bow down, let us kneel before the LORD our Maker. For He is our God, and we are the people of His pasture and the sheep of His hand...” Psalm 95:6-7. Our God looks after His flock. He protects us, guides us, nourishes us. He comes quickly to our rescue when we are in need. He is the Good Shepherd whose eye is ever upon us and whose hand is ever ready to deliver and save.

God also cares for us as a father cares for his children: “Just as a father has compassion on his children, so the LORD has compassion on those who fear Him” Psalm 103:13. God is our heavenly Father. Once saved, we are adopted into His family and share in the inheritance of blessings that come from His generous, benevolent hand.

The Bible stresses both the compassion and the discipline that are ours. He relates to us as children in need of direction, understanding, and correction. Let nothing dissuade you of God’s yearning love for you.

“But the very hairs of your head are all numbered.” Matthew 10:30