Friday, October 8, 2010

Make a Melody with Your Heart

“Speaking to one another in psalms and hymns and spiritual songs, singing and making melody with your heart to the Lord; always giving thanks for all things in the name of our Lord Jesus Christ to God, even the Father.” Ephesians 5:19-20

Throughout church history men and women have expressed their devotion and praise to God through music. For many composers, the words and music came during times of intense trials.

- Martin Luther, after years of spiritual embattlement, wrote A Mighty Fortress Is Our God.

- John Newton, sickened by his life as a slave trader, accepted Jesus Christ. He soon penned the words, “Amazing grace how sweet the sound that saved a wretch like me. I once was lost but now am found, was blind but now I see!”

- David on the run from King Saul wrote, “I love You, O LORD, my strength. The LORD is my rock and my fortress and my deliverer, my God, my rock, in whom I take refuge; my shield and the horn of my salvation, my stronghold. I call upon the LORD, who is worthy to be praised, and I am saved from my enemies” (Psalm 18:1-3).

The next time your are confronted by disillusionment, doubt, or fear, try praising God through song. The Bible tells us God inhabits the praise of His people. You may not feel like praising Him. That’s okay. He knows you’re hurting. Ask Him to help you begin; and He will not only place a song in your heart, He will also provide comfort and hope to face the future.

“He put a new song in my mouth, a song of praise to our God...” Psalm 40:3