Wednesday, November 24, 2010

Are You Content?

“But I rejoiced in the Lord greatly, that now at last you have revived your concern for me; indeed, you were concerned before, but you lacked opportunity. Not that I speak from want, for I have learned to be content in whatever circumstances I am. I know how to get along with humble means, and I also know how to live in prosperity; in any and every circumstance I have learned the secret of being filled and going hungry, both of having abundance and suffering need. I can do all things through Him who strengthens me.” Philippians 4:10-13

When he was younger, he dreamed of success; but as life progressed, he became bitter and withdrawn. A series of unfortunate incidents led to disillusionment - a college scholarship he could not complete; a marriage that, at best, was shaky; and children he longed to love but did not know how. These were only signs of a deeper problem - a lack of true contentment and peace with God. Now when most people are approaching retirement, he is forced to work a job he hates so bills can be paid. He always thought contentment was something he could buy and own, but he was wrong.

Even author and philosopher C.S. Lewis sought the solace of contentment, which he labeled “joy.” He had hoped to find it in a place or a state of mind, but instead he “found it to be a Person [Jesus Christ].” Contentment comes to those who seek the things of God above the things of the world. It is the result of laying down earthly desires while cultivating a friendship with Christ.

As you think through your life, are you content? If nothing were to change from this point - could you be satisfied with what God has given you? Remember, contentment abides where Jesus Christ is Lord of all.

“True contentment is need oriented not want oriented.”
-Andy Stanley