Tuesday, November 2, 2010

The Foundation of Your Faith

“And when I came to you, brethren, I did not come with superiority of speech or of wisdom, proclaiming to you the testimony of God. For I determined to know nothing among you except Jesus Christ, and Him crucified. I was with you in weakness and in fear and in much trembling, and my message and my preaching were not in persuasive words of wisdom, but in demonstration of the Spirit and of power, so that your faith would not rest on the wisdom of men, but on the power of God.” 1 Corinthians 2:1-5

The people of Corinth were proud intellectuals. They loved to debate, philosophize, and speculate, depending on their human reasoning to work through problems and understand their world. It wasn’t long before this cultural emphasis carried over into the church.

Paul didn’t waste any time using the human arguments they were used to hearing. Instead, he says: “I did not come with superiority of speech or of wisdom...For I determined to know nothing among you except Jesus Christ, and Him crucified” (verses 1-2). Jesus is the basis of faith. He is the one Foundation. It is through Jesus alone we are cleansed from sin, reconciled to and adopted by God.

Have you been sidetracked by side issues? Is your relationship with Jesus your top priority? Faith that relies solely on Christ makes you stable, secure, discerning. Ground yourself in Him, and He will steer you away from error, confusion, and self-reliance.