Monday, November 1, 2010

Intimacy with God

“If you keep My commandments, you will abide in My love; just as I have kept My Father's commandments and abide in His love. These things I have spoken to you so that My joy may be in you, and that your joy may be made full. This is My commandment, that you love one another, just as I have loved you. Greater love has no one than this, that one lay down his life for his friends. You are My friends if you do what I command you. No longer do I call you slaves, for the slave does not know what his master is doing; but I have called you friends, for all things that I have heard from My Father I have made known to you.” John 15:10-15

The book of Hosea is a compelling love story of God’s unfailing, steadfast care for His people despite their unfaithfulness, ingratitude, and repeated rebellion. Foreseeing their eventual restoration, Jehovah God makes this endearing statement to a stiff-necked people: “‘It will come about in that day,’ declares the Lord, ‘that you will call Me Ishi and will no longer call Me Baali.’” Hosea 2:16

“Ishi” is a Hebrew word meaning “husband” while “Baali” is a Hebrew word meaning “owner.” This is not a mere play on words. It expresses the deepest desire of God’s heart for us - that we would know Him intimately as a wife knows her mate.

Jesus expresses the same sense of endearment when He tells his disciples and us that we are not simply His servants but His “friends” with whom He desires to fellowship on the deepest, most compassionate level. If you view God as your heavenly father who longs to embrace you, sustain you, and lift you up on wings of divine love, your walk of faith can soar.

Jesus is your close, concerned Friend as well as your Master. You can weep with Him, grieve with Him, laugh with Him, even complain to Him. His love for you will never fail, never wane, never subside.

The Christian should never complain of his hard fortune while he knows that Christ is his Friend.