Monday, November 15, 2010

The Erosion of Our Life, Part 2

“Then Saul said, ‘I have sinned. Return, my son David, for I will not harm you again because my life was precious in your sight this day. Behold, I have played the fool and have committed a serious error.’ David replied, ‘Behold the spear of the king! Now let one of the young men come over and take it. The LORD will repay each man for his righteousness and his faithfulness; for the LORD delivered you into my hand today, but I refused to stretch out my hand against the LORD'S anointed. Now behold, as your life was highly valued in my sight this day, so may my life be highly valued in the sight of the LORD, and may He deliver me from all distress.’ Then Saul said to David, ‘Blessed are you, my son David; you will both accomplish much and surely prevail.’ So David went on his way, and Saul returned to his place.” 1 Samuel 26:21-25

The erosion of Saul’s life began quite subtly. The enemy never announces his plans to lure us away from our devotion to Christ. Instead, he uses small and seemingly harmless tactics to draw us into deception and compromise.

One careless event changed the course of Saul’s life and eventually led to his denunciation by God and death. Although the believer is kept by God’s grace, sin has its consequences; and many times it is our relationship with God that suffers. Make sure your life is free of spiritual erosion by asking God to give you a deep love for Himself and His Word.

Amy Carmichael once wrote: “The story of Mary breaking her pot of ointment made me think of some among us who love their Savior and yet have not broken theirs (vessel of oil). Something is held back, and so there is no outpouring of love, no fragrance in the house. It is shut up, not given. The days are passing so quickly. Soon it will be too late to pour all we have on His feet. How sorry Mary would have been if she had missed her opportunity that evening - an opportunity that would never come again: ‘But you do not always have Me.’ Soon He was among His foes. She could not have reached Him then.”

“If we are anywhere but in the love of God, we drift apart.”
-Amy Carmichael