Friday, March 14, 2008

Misunderstanding Gifts

“And since we have gifts that differ according to the grace given to us, let each exercise them accordingly: if prophecy, according to the proportion of his faith.” Romans 12:6

When we don’t understand the purpose or nature of spiritual gifts, we develop ‘wrong attitudes.’

Here are a few that seem to be common ~
Once I discover what my spiritual gift is, I am in a position to be mightily used of God.
Not necessarily so. Other factors affect your usefulness and effectiveness in ministering your gifts. Such as a spirit-filled life, study of the Word, commitment to God, and staying away from sinful practices.

Using my spiritual gift means I am spiritual.
Nice try, but the Corinthian believers exercised all the gifts, and were carnal. I Cor 1:7; 3:3

Once I discover my gift, I am no longer responsible to minister in other areas.

We are all responsible to minister in each area of the gifts by way of Christian duty and responsibility before God. There is a gift of prophecy, but all believers are exhorted to prophecy. I Cor 12:10; 14:1, 5, 24, 31, 39

God gave me a spiritual gift for my personal benefit and growth in the Lord.

A lot of people believe this, but it is not true! Gifts are given for the benefit of others in the body of Christ. I Cor 12:7; 14:12

Spiritual gifts cannot be used without the power and control of the Holy Spirit.
It sounds good, but again not true! The church in Corinth used all the gifts. I Cor 1:7 We will certainly be more effective when controlled by the spirit. The giving of the gifts is the work of the Holy Spirit, but the using of the gift is based on our responsibilities. This is a matter of deep concern for all of us! You can be ‘carnal,’ and still use your gift. You can obviously use them without love, though the results are obvious also. I Cor 13:1-3

This emphasis on spiritual gifts causes division and pride in the church, and therefore, should be avoided.
Unfortunately, this has been the case as it was in Corinth. However, we should not view the ‘gifts’ as causing the carnality and division, but rather the lack of love, and failure to be controlled by the Holy Spirit. The ‘gifts’ can be very effective in the growth of the church. I Cor 12; Eph 4:11-16