Monday, March 17, 2008

Varieties of Gifts

Now there are varieties of gifts, but the same Spirit. I Cor. 12:4

Paul explains that the spirit gives a variety of gifts to be used in a variety of ministries that have a variety of effects, but a common source and a common purpose. Notice that the word ‘variety’ is used three times, it literally means distributions, diversity or differences.

We are all different but we are one in Christ, having different gifts, but together in Christ we make one body. There is to be unity in diversity. It’s not that we all have the same gift, it’s not we all play the same position, it’s that we have a common Lord, a common purpose and goal and together we glorify Christ.

The word gift 'charisma’ means essentially the gift of grace or free gift. In sixteen of it’s seventeen New Testament usages, it is connected to God as the giver, referring to something given to us free!

‘Charisma’ is used seventeen times in the New Testament, eleven times it refers to spiritual gifts, the other times to salvation. Is salvation a free gift? Yes. Did you deserve it or earn it? No. Spiritual gifts are free gifts, undeserved and unearned, granted by God’s wonderful, loving, gracious kindness.

So, the first thing you learned about your capacity is that it is energized by the Holy Spirit. Second, it is a gift that you didn’t earn or deserve given to you purely as a result of God’s sovereign grace.

That gives me a sense of responsibility. When someone gives me a gift and says, “Would you care for this?” I’m going to care for it. I want to be a steward. I want to make sure it’s handled properly.

The Spirit graciously gives out those ‘grace gifts’ to all believers, so that each of us can say with Paul, “By the grace of God I am what I am.” I Cor 15:10a.

His grace was superabundant to me. The greatest mystery of my life, apart from God’s saving me, is that God called my into the ministry. Why? It was His choice, and I thank Him for it. Therefore it is absolutely essential to understand that spiritual gifts are special capacities bestowed on believers to equip them to minister supernaturally to others, especially to each other.