Thursday, August 28, 2008

Work Out Your Salvation

“So then, my beloved, just as you have always obeyed, not as in my presence only, but now much more in my absence, work out your salvation with fear and trembling; for it is God who is at work in you, both to will and to work for His good pleasure.” Philip. 2:12-13

There are many sides - or selves - inside us. C.G. Jung spoke of our “shadow sides.” There are “selves” within me who are fearful, jealous, distrustful, and angry. And unless I acknowledge them, I will not be able to act with any integrity.

Paul wrote to the Corinthians that we are “being changed into” the likeness of Christ. We have a pretty good idea of what we’re being shaped into as we look at Jesus, but we’re often not in touch with what we’re being shaped from.

The Psalmist wrote, “Bless the Lord, O my soul; and all that is within me, bless His holy name” Psm 103:1
Our problem is that we don’t really know “all that is within us.” Therefore, our worship - and our living - cannot have much integrity. It’s a case where ‘what we don’t know,’ can hurt us.

We need to get in touch with our shadow selves because they are extremely important parts of who we are. On the conscious, intellectual level, we may affirm that our lives are centered on Jesus Christ - that is the Self around whom all of life clusters. That’s an orthodox assessment of Christianity.

My point here is that our shadow selves do not suddenly disappear when we make a conscious commitment to Christ. How to deal with them? By getting in touch with them, knowing them, so that we can give them to Christ as well.

Unfortunately, instead of doing that, we’ve often tried to deny them. Anything about us that feels “unchristian” or “uncommitted” we’ve pushed aside as unworthy of us. Instead of going away, however, these shadow sides go on influencing us, and integrity goes wanting.

Wholeness means embracing who I am - conscious and unconscious, past and present - then working with God to make all of me more of who He wants me to become.

The process begins, I think, by getting in touch. Then and then only can we begin to exercise some control over our shadow selves. This is where it helps to have trusted friends, loved ones and mentors who you trust, to talk with, confide in, and listen to. Be open, honest, and sincere, seek Godly counsel and then proceed.