Sunday, November 30, 2008

Jesus, Your Rock

“...casting all your anxiety upon Him, because He cares for you.” I Peter 5:7

Have you ever said, “Don’t worry; I can handle it”? It’s an understandable response in a culture that seems to demand self-sufficiency and self-reliance.

Bills, a sick child, an irritable boss, a social function you don’t want to attend - all these can add stress to your day. As the tension rises, you lose the joy you know you should feel in your relationship with the Lord.

God doesn’t want you to live this way. When He says to cast all your anxiety upon Him, He is saying this: “I’ll take your heartaches. I’ll take your troubles and your torment. I want you to be liberated. I want to live My life in you.” No problem is too big for Him to manage, and no care is too trivial to concern Him.

In John 10:11, Jesus says, “I am the good shepherd; the good shepherd lays down His life for the sheep.” Jesus is taking care of all the details in your life, from ensuring your safety to providing you clothing and food. In response, God wants you to act as sheep do, depending completely on the shepherd’s supply and tender care.

Are you trusting Him in every circumstance, or do you try to work things out yourself first? (Matthew 6:33) Christ promises to meet every need.

Remember: Anxiety is a subtle thief - it steals the joy God intends for your life.