Monday, May 9, 2011

How to Handle Fear, Part 2

“Do not fear, for I am with you;
Do not anxiously look about you, for I am your God
I will strengthen you, surely I will help you,
Surely I will uphold you with My righteous right hand.” Isaiah 41:10


If you can remember only one verse when the rush of fear would overwhelm you, memorize the previous verse. Its comfort lies in the amazing truth of its message:

Do not fear, for I am with you. God, Who is far greater than your anxiety, is intimately with you. Think of how comforting it is to have this Friend with you in your time of need. Now think of the steadiness of the presence of your mighty Friend, Jesus Christ.

Do not anxiously look about you, for I am your God. In all of His power and love, the Lord is bound by His covenant to you. He is interested in you personally, and He wants you to focus on Him.

I will strengthen you, surely I will help you. Our Lord, Who is with you and cares for you, will come to your aid. He will sustain you; He will not leave you helpless.

Surely I will uphold you with My righteous right hand. You may be weak and feeble, but God has gripped your life with His steadfast love. He will not let you go (John 10:27-30).

Let the deep significance of these divine words sink deep into your heart. By God’s grace, they can calm the inner storms generated by your fears and eventually uproot them as Christ becomes your peace and trust (Eph. 2:13-16).

“It is I; do not be afraid.” John 6:20