Sunday, September 28, 2008

Anger Management

“He who is slow to anger is better than the mighty, and he who rules his spirit, than he who captures a city.” Proverbs 16:32

“Do you want to explain why there is a hole in your bedroom door?” Bill asked his 15-year-old son, Charles.

“I lost my temper,” Charles mumbled.”

“Hmm. Can you show me what that’s like?” asked Bill.

“What?”

“I want you to show me what happens why you lose your temper.”

“I can’t do that,” Charles said.

“Why not?

“Because I’m not angry right now.”

“Pretend that you are and show me what happens when you become upset.”

Charles stood to his feet and looked at the closet door. Then he looked back at his father.
“I don’t know. I was really upset and I snapped.”

“Remember how your grandpa always told jokes that weren’t funny, but you laughed anyway?”

“Yeah.”

“And just a few months ago, you canceled your spring break plans and stayed home to help your mom because the twins had chicken pox,” Bill continued. “Did I tell you how proud I was of you for doing something so selfless and mature?”

Charles blushed.

“The point I’m trying to make, Charles, is that your anger isn’t something that’s natural to your personality.” Bill placed a hand on his son’s shoulder. “If it was, you could act that way any time you wanted to. Keep that in mind the next time something’s getting the better of you - or else your allowance could become the ‘broken door’ fund!”